Subject: RESULTS: newsgroup creation straw poll.
From: [email-masked] (Steve Morris)

18 Aug 1998 22:50:20 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

In one week of voting I got 42 responses, 5 NO and 38 YES. I interpret this as
enough interest to move forward but not enough to guarantee a win when a real
vote comes up.

I think the process will go as follows:

o - A group of people willing to help the process is discussing it in
   Michael's new mailing list (thanks Michael.) There are 4 or 5 people
   subscribed or intending to subscribe.

o - The select group (self selected group?) is looking at newsgroup creation
   documents to familiarize ourselves with the proceedure.

o - The select group will make a first pass at an RFD (Request For Discussion)
   and post it here for preliminary discussion.

o - Assuming it doesn't get totally shot down, a revised RFD will be formally
   posted to all the correct places (news.announce.newgroups, news.groups,
   this list.)

o - The formal discussion will take place on news.groups.

o - What will be will be, i.e. we will follow the process, possibly
   resubmitting the RDF to respond to suggestions etc. kicking off the CFV
   etc.

o - The will of the people will prevail. Isn't democracy wonderful.

If you want to be a member of the prestigeous "select" group you have to pass
the secret test, i.e. you've got to subscribe to Michael's list. ;)

Regards,

Steve Morris
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".