Subject: Re: bash "pregnant pauses" revisited (B19 on NT 4.0)
From: [email-masked] (Lassi A. Tuura)

18 Aug 1998 17:26:59 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: "Lassi A. Tuura" <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: Arndt Schoenewald <[email-masked]>
Cc: Matthias Morche <[email-masked]>, Cygwin32 Maillist <[email-masked]>

|> But even if I had a stale network drive in PATH, this wouldn't explain
|> why the prompt is often delayed when I just hit <RETURN> on an empty
|> line -- why should the shell search the PATH when there's no command
|> to execute and the prompt is a constant string?!

I do not know if this helps, but shell does try to check your mailbox
every once in a while.  You can adjust the interval, including disabling
the whole feature.  Variables that matter are $MAIL and $MAILCHECK.  The
former tells the path to your mailbox and the latter sets the interval
in seconds.  Setting MAILCHECK=0 disables checking.  I believe there
were reports that indicated that this setting made the delays go away
for some people.

Other than that, you might want to try just `printenv | grep unknown' to
look for clues.

HTH,
//lat
--
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.  However, this is not
necessarily a good idea.  It is hard to be sure where they are going
to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
overhead.  --RFC1925, "The Twelve Networking Truths"

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".