Subject: Re: OpenGL with mingw32
From: [email-masked] (Mumit Khan)

16 Aug 1998 20:58:14 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: Cliff Lee <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners Inc)" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Cliff Lee wrote:

> 
> I thought that might be the problem with something screwy in the way I
> compiled mesa, but with MS OpenGL and SGI OpenGL, the DLLs are already
> pre-compiled. I assume that at least the MS OpenGL that comes with
> Win95/98 is not a debug version. Besides, when I use "dlltool",
> doesn't --dllname specify the name of the DLL that will be used?
> 
> Thanks for the suggestion though. I'll try again with mesa, making sure
> I get a release version. Unfortunately, even if it works, I don't think
> it will help with my other problem. That is, getting the error message
> "linked to missing export GLU32.DLL:_gluPerspective." Hey, I just
> noticed this, but why is this error message specifying GLU32.DLL, not
> GLU32D.DLL? I think perhaps
> --dllname doesn't exactly do what I think it does.
> 

I'm not sure what problems you're facing, but I'm using OpenGL with
mingw32 in a reasonably large 3D visualization project, albeit with a
few hacks. Currently, the C++ front end can't grok a few of the
constructs in the MS OpenGL headers, and need to be manually "fixed".
There is also a problem where the OpenGL callbacks in C++ are not
working (I haven't tried C since I have no C code lying around to
test), and I'm working on that as time permits.

FYI, I've built VTK (Visualization Toolkit), a *very* large package, which 
uses MS OpenGL for rendering using mingw32 egcs. See VTK web site at
<URL:http://www.kitware.com/vtk.html> for more info on VTK.

My next binary release of EGCS will have necessary fixes to the C++ parser
to grok the OpenGL files (thanks to Alastair Houghton for majority of the 
patches). These changes haven't made it into the egcs release tree yet;
the changes to the c++ parser are significant enough that the C++
maintainer will have to take a serious look before incorporating any of
it (and Jason Merrill's rather busy at the moment with egcs-1.1 release).
I don't know the status of SGI OpenGL on Win32 however, so there might 
still be problems I don't know about. 

Regards,
Mumit

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".