Subject: Re: mounts, ls, and filename completion
From: [email-masked] (Michael Mauch)

16 Aug 1998 10:55:18 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: [email-masked]

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998 09:20:54 -0400, Larry Hall wrote:

> Currently, there is no facility at the tool level to let you make your
> (existing) mount points binary by default.

I modified the mount.exe source code so that I can do "mount --binary"
and the existing mount points will be changed to binary mode. But that
still doesn't help for all the other drives, so it looks like I have to
mount everything.

>  Pipes, etc., may be 
> controllable via the "bin" flag of CYGWIN32 but I haven't checked this
> for sure.

I guess it should. Another member of the list answered that I should set
CYGWIN32=binmode, but as soon as I do so, every Cygwin program
immediately coredumps on startup (the .core file is in binary mode then,
so it seems to work a bit). I tried to set it in a DOS box using `set´
and/or `winset´, and in the autoexec.bat. I'm using Win95b OSR2.5/124
and Cygwin 19.1. The coolview thing is for NT only? Or should I try
that?

>  Support for this would require a change to the bash code and
> I don't know if its in there or not.  I've modified my bash code to open
> pipes and such as binary so I don't notice problems there myself anymore...

Hmm, I didn't think that you have to change bash or ash to use binary
pipes. At least in DOS programs you can set stdin and stdout into binary
mode and don't have to change command.com. I don't know if this can also
be done in Win32 console programs. I thought that the Cygwin.dll would
handle this, so binary mode would/should work with every Cygwin-compiled
program, regardless if I use bash or command.com.

Regards...
		Michael
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".