Subject: Re: mounts, ls, and filename completion
From: [email-masked] (Jeff Sturm)

16 Aug 1998 06:48:31 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

Earnie Boyd wrote:
> ---Geoffrey Noer <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > I also consider the //<drive-letter>/ system for referring to drives a
> > Bad Idea (tm) since it conflicts with the UNC namespace.  I'm somewhat
> > thinking of removing this functionality and replacing it with
> > something more sensible but this may be too painful for everyone for
> > us to contemplate it seriously.  :-(
> 
> Please, consider it.  I would even ask that you go as far as
> considering creating /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab files.

The usual /etc/fstab stuff is kept in the registry by cygwin32, and the
/etc/mtab equivalent is in shared memory.  Would the convenience of
including these files be worth the nuisance of keeping them in sync?

My wish is to see development start on a /proc pseudo-filesystem
interface for cygwin32.  Internal tables like the mount table, process
table, etc. could become user accessible via /proc, something like
/proc/fstab and /proc/mtab perhaps... these could even be symlinked to
/etc for read-only access to legacy applications that expect to find
those tables in the filesystem.

-- 
Jeff Sturm
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".