Subject: Re: CD-based distribution (was Another website....)
From: [email-masked] (Larry Hall)

16 Aug 1998 06:48:13 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: [email-masked] (Larry Hall)
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: Robert Read <[email-masked]>, Geoffrey Noer <[email-masked]>
Cc: Marcus Brown <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
        [email-masked]

At 02:48 PM 8/13/98 -0700, Robert Read wrote:
>
>That is a good point; it does make sense for the install process to be
>windows aware because, after all, this is windows software. A
>product like that might also help developers building stand alone
>applications with cygwin to distribute them easier.  Does anyone know if
>it would be difficult to extend rpm with windows specific features like
>registry settings?
>
>robert
>

Its been a while since I looked at rpm but my recollection is that it 
allows you to include pre and/or post install scripts to do "whatever".
If at all possible, I think that any windows specific actions that need
to happen on the install should be a script run by rpm to do the registry 
stuff, etc.  This way, one would create Cygwin32-specific packages that
know how to install themselves under Cygwin32 and Windows but rpm doesn't
have to know anything specific about Windows or Cygwin32 (or HP-UX, Sun 
Solaris, etc. for that matter...)

Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      (781) 239-1053
8 Grove Street                          (781) 239-1655 - FAX
Wellesley, MA  02482-7797               http://www.rfk.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".