Subject: Re: CD-based distribution (was Another website....)
From: [email-masked] (John A. Turner)

14 Aug 1998 12:30:37 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: Geoffrey Noer <[email-masked]>
Cc: Marcus Brown <[email-masked]>, Robert Read <[email-masked]>,
        [email-masked], [email-masked]

Geoffrey Noer wrote:

> In principle, I would prefer InstallShield-based distributions but
> obviously that causes a lot of problems -- it's proprietary and isn't
> very scalable to 100s of packages.  So maybe rpm is the way to go...
> 
> Overall, I think it is best if the system promotes compatibility with
> Windows.  (We'd all be much better off running Linux if all we wanted
> was a UNIX box).  If there is a good way to package things that is
> more in keeping with normal Windows ways of existance other than
> Installshield that might be a better choice.  Dunno.

I recently installed something (XEmacs) that was packaged using an
alternative to InstallShield that some people seem to like better,
called WISE (http://www.wisesolutions.com/).  I think the Python
community uses it (here's a blurb I found about that
http://starship.skyport.net/crew/mhammond/wise/wise.html).

Anyway, it seemed fine to me, from a user point of view.

-John
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".