Subject: Re: Yet another GNU-Win32 website...
From: [email-masked] (Jeff Sturm)

14 Aug 1998 08:47:53 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: David Fox <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]

David Fox wrote:
> 
> [email-masked] (Pete Jordan) writes:
> 
> > IMHO everyone /should/ have both /usr and /var (and /etc and
> > /usr/local for that matter). A standard FS layout compatible with
> > Unix/linux would be no bad thing...
> 
> There seem to be two types of GNU-win32 users.  Those who are trying
> to make a Windows system more Unixy, and those who are trying to make
> Unix software work under Windows.

Good point.  That's why we have options like tty and binmode.  A
politically-correct distribution should offer to set up cygwin32 either
way.  I can picture the radio buttons:

    Select preferred cygwin32 installation:

      ( )  better integration with Win32 programs

      (x)  better GNU/POSIX compatibility

or something like that...

> For the latter, the closer the
> file system stays to the windows standard the better, so that its
> easier to distribute the completed port to regular windows users.

Huh?  What windows standard?  You mean dropping cygwinb19.dll and all
..exe's into C:\WINNT\system32?  Or installing the distribution into
C:\Program Files\Cygnus\GNU-Win32\B19?  No thanks... :)

Seriously, I would like to move towards a registry-based configuration
and eliminate the batch files.  I don't like the idea of an install
program mucking up my global environment space.  Instead, the first time
cygwinb19.dll loads it could read the registry and export its
configuration to the environment.  Seems like that would be friendlier
to Windows and Unix folks alike.

-- 
Jeff Sturm
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".