Subject: cp/mv/rm problems with .exe extension filenames
From: [email-masked] (Steven Hein)

14 Aug 1998 05:05:57 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

I'm definitely a newbie to GNU-win32, so please forgive me if this turns
out to be a dumb question!

I recently downloaded a "GNU-style" (uses ./configure) software package (the
unix version of vim 5.1, specifically).  It configured, and built as is, but
when I went to install it, I found that the install targets in the Makefile
couldn't copy the binary to /bin (where I wanted it).  The problem boiled
down to trying to do a:

cp vim /bin

The command failed because the file 'vim' did not exist--it is vim.exe!
From what I can tell, it looks like 'ls' handles filenames w/o the .exe
extension, but the rest of the tools (rm, cp, mv, ??) don't!  I've read
the FAQ and didn't see anything concerning this.  I have the same problem
with other GNU-style packages (bash, etc.).  This seems like a glaring hole
with "unix compatibility".......am I missing something?  I'm running B19.1
on Windows NT 4.0 SP3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Steve Hein
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".