Subject: Re: creating a newsgroup
From: [email-masked] (Mumit Khan)

11 Aug 1998 02:23:17 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: Michael Hirmke <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

On 7 Aug 1998, Michael Hirmke wrote:

> I have no interest in reading a newsgroup *and* a mailing list covering
> the same topics and so far can see no sense in creating a newsgroup.
> Therefore I didn't write anything to anyone regarding this topic :)

Then don't! I'm not sure if you realize this, but most of the usual
GNU newsgroups (and lots of the programming ones) started out from a 
mailing lists and then turned into newsgroups  when the traffic
mushroomed. Lots of these are still gatewayed in and out of mailing 
list. You only have to read one or the other, but not both unless you
want to. I subscribe to some of these since we archive them for local 
use, but actually read/post using the newsgroup part.

I believe that the reason there is such little interest shown so far is 
because the people who complain the most about irrelevant traffic (eg.,
myself) don't want to take the time to create the newsgroup. We just
hope someone else will do it, and not bother us with the details ;-)

Regards,
Mumit

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".