Subject: Re: Yet another GNU-Win32 website...
From: [email-masked] (Jeff Sturm)

7 Aug 1998 02:13:31 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

This looks like a good starting point.  I've just started working with
cygwin32 myself... I learned a few things from this website, and saw
numerous other items that I've learned elsewhere or figured out for
myself.

The installation page mentions hacking the registry to mount / in binary
mode (why does it default to non-binary anyway? CRLF text mode is evil)
but why not mention the registry keys... sure, they're not hard to find,
but still... even better would be a tcl/tk utility to edit the registry
settings.

BTW my initial impressions with this package are:
  a) it is excellent quality, compared to even commercial offerings
     from Softway and AT&T (I've tried most of them).
  b) it is horrible for a newcomer to find his way around and tame
     it into a nice, useable GNUish package (why no vim, less in the
     distribution?)  I guess that's why it's beta...

Why doesn't someone build a distribution of cygwin32 configured with
all the goodies, updates, egcs, X11, etc?  There are several people at
my organization who downloaded cygwin32 independently, and I can
guarantee they don't know how powerful this software is.  A polished,
quick-to-install distribution would knock their socks off... personally
I'd jump at the chance if I were a CD maker.

Pete Jordan wrote:
> 
> I'm setting up some pages that will contain the distilled wisdom(!) of my
> experience of setting up and running GNU-Win32, along with mirroring some
> of the more geographically remote software (coolview and QUB Perl as I
> write) for fast UK access.
> 
> I only started writing it yesterday so it's very minimal ATM, but it won't
> remain so. Any useful hints and tips for inclusion gratefully received at
> mailto:[email-masked] :) - I'm particularly looking for good
> descriptions of all the CYGWIN32 env variable options.
> 
> URL: http://www.skydancer.demon.co.uk/gnu-win32/
> 
> Any constructive comments welcome (I'm expecting flak from Micro$oft
> and/or the FSF for my GNU-Win32 logo <g>)
> 
> Oh, and complaints about the usage of frames and JavaScript will be
> ignored - it's my site and that's the way I've written it...
> 
> Pete Jordan ~ Horus Communications Ltd ~ http://www.horus.cix.co.uk/
> 
> "Ninevah, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand
>  persons that know not how to distinguish their right hand from their
>  left, not to mention many camels." ~ /God/
> -
> For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
> "[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".

-- 
Jeff Sturm
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".