Subject: Re: ftp client corrupts binary files with ^m ??
From: [email-masked] (Larry Hall)

7 Aug 1998 00:35:09 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: "Kevin F. Quinn" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Cc: Guido Roeskens <[email-masked]>

At 09:00 AM 8/6/98 +0100, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
>Guido Roeskens [[email-masked]] wrote:
>
>> You have to change the transfer type to binary mode: Simply type
>> "bin" as an abbreviation for "binary". You can check the transfer
>> type set with "type" or with "status".
>
>The ftp.exe I have (from Sergey's "remote" package, I think) assumes
>binary mounts, and fails on transfer of binary files to text!=binary
>mounts in this way, even if type "binary" has been specified.
>

I'm missing the logic of doing this.  If someone has already taken the
time to modify the code to check that the file system is mounted binary
and fail if it is not for binary transfers, why wouldn't one have just 
made the changes that make sure the file is created locally as binary
when the mode is specified as binary?  The problem should be simple to solve 
if you're willing to edit and rebuild so I'm not sure I see the benefit of 
not solving it if one was going to go through the edit/rebuild process 
anyway (although anyone is free to do whatever they want with this code!)  
Can anyone explain to me why it would be better to alter the ftp client to 
do as Kevin describes above rather than just fix the problem?

Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      (781) 239-1053
8 Grove Street                          (781) 239-1655 - FAX
Wellesley, MA  02181                    http://www.rfk.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".