Subject: Re: Compiling egcs
From: [email-masked] (Mumit Khan)

31 Jul 1998 15:33:59 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: jjd <[email-masked]>
Cc: gnu-win32 <[email-masked]>

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, jjd wrote:

> "EGCS with Windows
> egcs does not currently support windows, either natively or with the cygwin32 dll. However Mumit Khan has been working on supporting
> Windows with egcs. You should check out his site if you're interested in Windows support."

That's essentially correct for egcs-1.0.x releases. EGCS-1.1 will support
cygwin32/mingw32 almost out of the box.

However, as Tim Prince points out, there are problems on Windows95 that I 
don't see on NT.  Win95 is definitely not an OS I would trust to develop
software one; running the final product is a different story. If you're
running W95, you should be aware of this.

> 
> i have the source for egcs 1.0.3a.  ok, i also checked out Mumit's
> site, but i couldn't find the 1.0.3a specific patch, question:
> can i use the 1.0.2 patch to 1.0.3a?  anyway, i just tried my luck
> in compiling it and guess what? -- it didn't work!

My patches for egcs-1.0.3a are under the "snapshots" directory on my ftp
site (ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/cygwin32/snapshots/).
Use at your own risk. EGCS-1.0.2 patches should work with 1.0.3a as well.

Just wait for egcs-1.1 if you can. Should be out early-to-mid August.

> it didn't even configure.  error during the configuration is:

Make sure you're running with binary mounts! Please see all the messages 
posted to this group on how to do this. Wonder if you can do this by just
adding "binmode" to the CYGWIN32 variable?
  
  export CYGWIN32="$CYGWIN32 binmode"

Never tried it, but probably worth a shot.

> btw, what is the difference between objective c and c++?

Two completely different languages. Both are somewhat based on C, but then
have taken radically different approaches to object-oriented programming.
I'm definitely not doing either language justice here; the answer to this
question is quite a bit longer, but it belongs elsewhere, not in this 
group.

Regards,
Mumit

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".