Subject: Re: Future of Cygwin32
From: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Noer)

30 Jul 1998 02:35:32 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: Darren Evans <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

> Im curious what features will be in the next version of Cygnus and when
> it's due? I seem to recall someone saying, when x returns from Holiday,
> but that was a while ago ..
> 
> Heres my wishlist:
> Complete with egcs
> Upto date tools :)
> Paths stored in registry for cygnus and egcs
> and so on ..

I don't have a firm feature list yet or a date.  That said, we are
aiming to make a new release as soon as it makes sense.  We're in the
middle of Cygwin32 performance optimizations right now so we are
waiting until Cygwin32 is well-tested again and ready for another
release.  Windows 98 support will be present.  Hopefully, EGCS 1.1
will be included as the compiler.  I will let everyone know when we
know more.

I am looking into upgrading sed to 3.01 but I don't expect that it
will make that big of a difference in configure times.  (Hopefully
I'm wrong).  Linux has the advantage that I/O appears to be much
faster on ext2 partitions.  If you compare Linux running on a fat
filesystem to NT on the same, a lot of the performance difference goes
away...

-- 
Geoffrey Noer
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".