Subject: RE: Asterisk expansion...
From: [email-masked] (Andrew Dalgleish)

28 Jul 1998 14:43:09 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

> I know from the experience of my mingw32-sup package that cmd.exe and
> commmand.com do globbing, it is not as robust though.  For example:
> `ls' doesn't do any globbing, it only reports on a list of files given
> it on stdin.  I ported it to native win32 using mingw32.
[Andrew Dalgleish]  
cmd/command do NOT do globbing.

Some compiler/linker packages may do globbing in the run-time startup
code, so from your code it seems as if the globbing had been done by the
shell.

I can't speak for mingw32, but from the Microsoft help:

Expanding Wildcard Arguments 
Microsoft Specific ®

When running a C program, you can use either of the two wildcards - the
question mark (?) and the asterisk (*) - to specify filename and path
arguments on the command line. 

Command-line arguments are handled by a routine called _setargv (or
_wsetargv in the wide-character environment), which by default does not
expand wildcards into separate strings in the argv string array. You can
replace the normal _setargv routine with a more powerful version of
_setargv that does handle wildcards by linking with the SETARGV.OBJ
file. If your program uses a wmain function, link with WSETARGV.OBJ. 

To link with SETARGV.OBJ or WSETARGV.OBJ, use the /link option. For
example: 

cl typeit.c /link setargv.obj

The wildcards are expanded in the same manner as operating system
commands. (See your operating system user's guide if you are unfamiliar
with wildcards.) Enclosing an argument in double quotation marks (" ")
suppresses the wildcard expansion. Within quoted arguments, you can
represent quotation marks literally by preceding the
double-quotation-mark character with a backslash (\). If no matches are
found for the wildcard argument, the argument is passed literally. 

END Microsoft Specific

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".