Subject: Re: multithread-safe applications in cygwin32
From: [email-masked] (Christopher G. Faylor)

28 Jul 1998 13:07:56 GMT
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
X-Newsreader: trn 4.0-test63 (15 March 1998)

In article <[email-masked]>,
Peter Mularski <[email-masked]> wrote:
>I have just been banging my head against a wall trying to write a
>multithreaded application for cygwin32. Is this possible, and if so, how? I
>notice that none of the reentrant standard library calls are supported.
>Also, the MS _beginthread and _endthread calls, which are also supposed to
>provide a reentrant interface are not supported. How is it possible to do a
>multithreaded program with cygwin? ming is not an option, since I need the
>UNIX emulation layer. Any ideas?

Cygwin32 is not yet thread-safe.  It also doesn't support the MS _beginthread
and _endthread calls.

We are planning on releasing a thread-safe version of Cygwin at some point
in the future, but for now, I am afraid that you're out of luck.
-- 
[email-masked]             "Everything has a boolean value, if you stand
http://www.cygnus.com/      far enough away from it."  -- Galena Alyson Canada