Subject: Re: GNUMAKE help...
From: [email-masked] (Sam Holden)

28 Jul 1998 09:27:05 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: [email-masked]

John G. Alvord writes:
> I have spent a couple days trying to use the GNUmake Cygnus binary
>(19.1beta) and have run into a puzzle I can't solve. If someone could
>supply a clue, I will be on my way fixing the bug or supplying the
>needed option.
>
>I am in a NT environment, porting a fairly large UNIX/OS2 make file
>suite. The last problem seems to be that the make processing does not
>recognize the  case insensitivity of the NT file system.  I have a list
>of target files, expressed all in lower case ala unix. The files exist
>on NT but are mostly upper case internally (because they come from a
>source archive that keeps them in upper case). A pattern rule can't find
>them. When I make a copy of the files involved, and copy one back so it
>has a lower case name... then the pattern rule triggers. I can't just
>rename them all to lower case because the rename command belives that
>filename and FILENAME are the same and refuses to do the deed.

Windows should treat the files MAIN.C and main.c the same I thought, but if
not just rename them by moving them somewhere else with a different name.

$ mkdir temp
$ for i in *
> do
> mv $i temp/`echo $i | tr "[:lower:]" "[:upper:]"`
> done
$ mv temp/* .

If you don't have tr, then perl or awk can do the same job. Also I checked the
tr man page under Solaris so you might need tr/ABCDEF../abcdef.../ or something
if it doesn't understand :upper:. 

If you can't get that to work then :
$ for i in *
> do
> mv $i $i.old
> done

Then you should be able to rename them all manually (I can't believe people do
things like this manually almost everyday and don't think that there might be
a better way... - damn windows)

Of course both those snippets are for bash (I hope anyway - I use es, which does
them much nicer).

Sam

---
Basically, avoid comments. If your code needs a comment to be
understood, it would be better to rewrite it so it's easier to
understand.  --Rob Pike
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".