Subject: Re: GNUMAKE help...
From: [email-masked] (John Alvord)

28 Jul 1998 09:27:02 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: David Whitten <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

That does work. Someone sent me a shell script to do that, and I could
fairly easily convert that to a mass change lower-caser.

It feels like the Wrong Thing(TM), though. The make code already has
conditional compilation to automatically upper case filenames and paths in
the DOS case. 	I am leaning toward an environment variable to do the same
logic... MAKE_FS_INSENSITIVE=Y would mean to upper case all names during
WIN32 processing.
 
In the straight WIN32 environment, commands do not distinguish between
upper and lower case. A "RENAME XYZ xyz" is rejected. It works like DOS.
So the proposed logic would make it work like DOS (and like the OS/2
GUNmake which I am also using).

Does anyone have a comment on that approach?

john alvord

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, David Whitten wrote:

> > 
> >  I have spent a couple days trying to use the GNUmake Cygnus binary
> > (19.1beta) and have run into a puzzle I can't solve. If someone could
> > supply a clue, I will be on my way fixing the bug or supplying the
> > needed option.
> > 
> > I am in a NT environment, porting a fairly large UNIX/OS2 make file
> > suite. The last problem seems to be that the make processing does not
> > recognize the  case insensitivity of the NT file system.  I have a list
> > of target files, expressed all in lower case ala unix. The files exist
> > on NT but are mostly upper case internally (because they come from a
> > source archive that keeps them in upper case). A pattern rule can't find
> > them. When I make a copy of the files involved, and copy one back so it
> > has a lower case name... then the pattern rule triggers. I can't just
> > rename them all to lower case because the rename command belives that
> > filename and FILENAME are the same and refuses to do the deed.
> > 
> > I would appreciate any hints.
> 
> I'm probably the worst one to ask, but have you tried a two step rename?
> ie: rename FILENAME unusedname
>     rename unusedname filename
> 
> 
> David ([email-masked])
> 

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".