Subject: Re: long long vs long
From: [email-masked] (Christopher G. Faylor)

27 Jul 1998 22:19:47 GMT
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]> <9807261625.AA18550.cygnus.gnu-win32@frodo>
X-Newsreader: trn 4.0-test63 (15 March 1998)

In article <9807261625.AA18550.cygnus.gnu-win32@frodo>,
sjm <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>It was written:
> > Long long vs long debate ...
> > 
> > Please take this elsewhere! There's comp.lang.c, which is a much better
> > forum than this mailing list.
> > 
> > I implore you to spare the rest of us from this inane discussion. Would 
> > be nice if some of the posters would bother opening up a standard C 
> > reference before posting.
>
>Suggestion: Add "Re: long long vs long" to your kill file or filter or
>whatever you use. Alternatively consider deleting anything with that subject
>without reading. I measured the time on my keyboard for deleting similar email
>messages. Using vm under emacs I was able to delete in an average of .3
>seconds per message if I did not bother to read the message. That's frankly
>what I do with 95% of the traffic on this list. If it takes you longer I
>suggest changing mailers. 

I agree with whoever posted this.  The "long long" topic has very little
to do with gnu-win32.  When a message thread starts moving outside of
the purpose of a mailing list, the polite thing to do is to move it
elsewhere.

>As long as there is resistance to turning this list into a newsgroup where it
>would be easier to split into subgroups then I have little sympathy for
>complaints about off point discussion. Since this is the only forum for
>discussing cygwin related stuff we shouldn't be too restrictive about how
>closely related the discussion must be.

Resistance?  Where is there resistance?  If you'd like to spearhead the
campaign to turn this into a newsgroup, please feel free to do so.

The fact that this is not a newsgroup is one more reason why off-topic
threads such as this one should be squashed.  Some people who are
subscribed to the gnu-win32 mailing list are actually paying for their
connections.  There's no reason for such people to pay for "long long"
discussions.
-- 
[email-masked]             "Everything has a boolean value, if you stand
http://www.cygnus.com/      far enough away from it."  -- Galena Alyson Canada