Subject: Re: long long vs long
From: [email-masked] (sjm)

26 Jul 1998 13:22:49 -0700
Message-ID: <9807261625.AA18550.cygnus.gnu-win32@frodo>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

It was written:
 > Long long vs long debate ...
 > 
 > Please take this elsewhere! There's comp.lang.c, which is a much better
 > forum than this mailing list.
 > 
 > I implore you to spare the rest of us from this inane discussion. Would 
 > be nice if some of the posters would bother opening up a standard C 
 > reference before posting.

Suggestion: Add "Re: long long vs long" to your kill file or filter or
whatever you use. Alternatively consider deleting anything with that subject
without reading. I measured the time on my keyboard for deleting similar email
messages. Using vm under emacs I was able to delete in an average of .3
seconds per message if I did not bother to read the message. That's frankly
what I do with 95% of the traffic on this list. If it takes you longer I
suggest changing mailers. 

Also I have found that not reading mail makes it impossible to be annoyed by
the innanity of that mail because I cannot then tell if the mail is innane or
not. Fortunately I have never seen a mailer that forced me to read mail on an
uninteresting topic.

In other words I suggest you lighten up. This is a support group, not a
private list for insiders. Since gcc supports "long long" the argument could
be made that this is a vaguely on point topic. I could also make an arguement
based on its relatedness to portability. Less on point topics have been
discussed here without complaint.

As long as there is resistance to turning this list into a newsgroup where it
would be easier to split into subgroups then I have little sympathy for
complaints about off point discussion. Since this is the only forum for
discussing cygwin related stuff we shouldn't be too restrictive about how
closely related the discussion must be.

Steve Morris
[email-masked]

PS. I agree that we have beaten this one nearly to death and will personally
be relieved when the topic finally dies out.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".