Subject: gas bugs and infelicities
From: [email-masked] (Jon Thackray)

24 Jul 1998 19:09:05 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

I'm having trouble with a couple of bits of gas behaviour.

First, it doesn't recognise instructions like

sal $1, %eax

as being a special form (code in two bytes rather than three).

Secondly, rather more serious, it seems to insist in inserting
unnecessary wait instructions, eg

I code

fstsw %ax

it compiles as though I had coded

wait
fstsw %ax

This is stupid, fstsw already waits for unmasked fp exceptions to be
handled. Further, for some reason the wait it compiles is coded as

0x66 0x9b

ie it has the operand size prefix. This is also silly, as wait doesn't
have operands.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".