Subject: Re: Decompile...
From: [email-masked] (Ian Flanigan)

23 Jul 1998 03:50:57 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: Fred Reimer <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], "Marcel R." <[email-masked]>,
        [email-masked]

Fred Reimer wrote:
> 
> I would think that it would be possible to create cryptic C code for an exe
> that at least shows the types of variables passed between functions and the
> auto variables used within the function in addition to the general flow of
> the function.

Actually, there have been many decompiler projects in the past.  One was
used to de-compile the Internet Worm back in '88.  I had another for
MSDOS around '90 or so.  The one used on the worm, if I recall
correctly, made use of some "features" of the code generation routines
in pcc (the old portable C compiler on which nearly all C compilers
shipped with UNIX used to be derived from) to re-generate the source
code.  The MSDOS one was just nasty and basically turned assembly code
into C, complete with bit shifts and carry testing.  It was gross and
unuseful.

Ian
---
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".