Subject: Re: bash hangs the system - I backgraded to B18
From: [email-masked] (Robert Matzinger)

22 Jul 1998 03:11:01 -0700
Message-ID: <35b7516c.2785150.cygnus.gnu-win32@localhost>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

On Tue, 14 Jul 1998 19:22:11 +0000, you wrote:
>	This is my first experience with cygwin32 and I find that 
>bash frequently hangs the machine, I'm running the b19.1 release on a 
>W95 box.  There appears to be a number of scenarios that will produce
>a hang, using ctrl-C, attempting to execute a file that can't be found,
>and cat as used in the configure scripts.  
> etc.

I'm running the same configuration and encountered the same hangs.
It's true that ctrl-C and execution-attempts of nonexistent files increases
the probability of a hang, however I also encountered hangs within 'date',
'ls', and within execution of shell scripts.

I tried B19.1 a couple of days. I also tried Sergeys cygwin32.dll. However
there was no difference in hang propability. 
Then came the day I tried to do something more serious, i.e. write and test
a shell script.
After the 20th (or so) reboot of my machine within a couple of hours I
backgraded to B18 as I saw no way to work around the hangs.
B18's bash has the only disadvantage that it has troubles with the terminal
(i.e. automatic key repetition produces garbage in the input). Otherwise it's
rather stable.

Anyway, please keep up the good work. I wait for B19.n (n>=2).
Any opinions on this?

    Triholareidulioe
          Robert 

                                                     \|/
+------------------------------------+----------uuuu-Q Q-uuuu------------+
| D.I. Robert Matzinger              |                U                  |
|      mailto:[email-masked]  | http://www.kr.tuwien.ac.at/~matzi |
+------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
| PGP Key fingerprint = 44 68 13 D1 10 F8 3A B0  4E 75 A5 A4 7E 13 85 6C |
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".