Subject: Re: Problem with HOME environment processing in cygwin B19
From: [email-masked] (Christopher G. Faylor)

20 Jul 1998 02:24:36 GMT
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
X-Newsreader: trn 4.0-test63 (15 March 1998)

In article <[email-masked]>,
Lincoln Baxter <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>We have finally figured out the problem I reported several months ago
>with running dos exe's which use a
>HOME environment which broke between cygwin b18 and b19;
>
>The problem is that I have to 'fixup' $HOME so that it has diskCOLON
>as in 'd:/path/to/home' (instead of just '/path/to/home'),
>so that it can be correcttly interpreted by my scripts the are run
>with $HOME as an argument  (but are not linked with cygwin.dll such as
>the activeware port
>of perl).   This colon is interpreted by the 19 and 19.1 dll as a PATH
>separator, even in the HOME EV.   Thus
>a HOME EV defined as 'd:/home/lincoln'  will be converted as
>d;d\home\lincoln in the exec'ed command.   B18 did not do this..
>
>We have narrowed this down to the dosity routine in the cygwin19 dll
>which is called for BOTH HOME and PATH.  This is no problem
>for PATH, but is a BIG problem for HOME which can only be one path.
>
>Is is possible that HOME could be treated, specially such that if it
>contains a COLON, all the dll does
>is flip the /'s for \'s?   Otherwise existing processing is will work.
>It would be really nice if this were fixed in the
>the upcoming 19.2 release, It would provide compatiblilty with the
>behavior, of b18 AND make b19 actually
>usable in a mixed, dos/bash environment.  As it stands b18 is much
>more useable because it gets this right..
>I would fix this myself as submit a fix, but we are unable to get
>cygwin19 to build.

This will be fixed in the next version of cygwin.
-- 
[email-masked]             "Everything has a boolean value, if you stand
http://www.cygnus.com/      far enough away from it."  -- Galena Alyson Canada