Subject: Re: WINDRES alternative for egcs Mingw32 on Win95
From: [email-masked] (Peter Dalgaard BSA)

19 Jul 1998 23:55:46 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
To: Douglas Steele <[email-masked]>
Cc: Mumit Khan <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

Douglas Steele <[email-masked]> writes:

> 
> In message <[email-masked].
> edu>, Mumit Khan <[email-masked]> writes
> >Douglas, why not just use the cygwin32 version? All you need is windres
> >and cygwinb19.dll, right? (of course I haven't personally tested this,
> >so don't know for sure).
> Tried it.
> First checked windres worked OK on full cygwin32 installation.
> Then replaced Mingw32 windres with cygwin32 windres and cygwinb19.dll
> ... same problem, rc file dumped to screen.
> As far as I can make out, its the Mingw32 cpp.exe thats the common
> factor here.

I just checked out whether I could cross-compile the R-0.61.3 sources
from Linux, and lo and behold:

$ PATH=~/mingw-cross/i386-mingw32/bin/:$PATH make
windres  -i wincons.rc -o res.o 
windres:
/home/pd/mingw-cross/lib/gcc-lib/i386-mingw32/egcs-2.90.27/include/stdarg.h:70:
parse error
cpp: output pipe has been closed
make: *** [res.o] Error 1

Apparently, windres balks at typedef constructions in stuff included
via <windows.h>. The problem could well be just that w95 is not
handling the death of the receiving end of a pipe gracefully, but the
real solution is to prevent it from dying in the first place. If you
include <Windows32/Defines.h> instead of <windows.h>, all seems to be
well [as proven by my standard torture test: It starts up and runs
plot(1:10)...].

-- 
   O__  ---- Peter Dalgaard             Blegdamsvej 3  
  c/ /'_ --- Dept. of Biostatistics     2200 Cph. N   
 (*) \(*) -- University of Copenhagen   Denmark      Ph: (+45) 35327918
~~~~~~~~~~ - ([email-masked])             FAX: (+45) 35327907
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".