Subject: Problem with HOME environment processing in cygwin B19
From: [email-masked] (Lincoln Baxter)

18 Jul 1998 23:34:56 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>

We have finally figured out the problem I reported several months ago
with running dos exe's which use a
HOME environment which broke between cygwin b18 and b19;

The problem is that I have to 'fixup' $HOME so that it has diskCOLON
as in 'd:/path/to/home' (instead of just '/path/to/home'),
so that it can be correcttly interpreted by my scripts the are run
with $HOME as an argument  (but are not linked with cygwin.dll such as
the activeware port
of perl).   This colon is interpreted by the 19 and 19.1 dll as a PATH
separator, even in the HOME EV.   Thus
a HOME EV defined as 'd:/home/lincoln'  will be converted as
d;d\home\lincoln in the exec'ed command.   B18 did not do this..

We have narrowed this down to the dosity routine in the cygwin19 dll
which is called for BOTH HOME and PATH.  This is no problem
for PATH, but is a BIG problem for HOME which can only be one path.

Is is possible that HOME could be treated, specially such that if it
contains a COLON, all the dll does
is flip the /'s for \'s?   Otherwise existing processing is will work.
It would be really nice if this were fixed in the
the upcoming 19.2 release, It would provide compatiblilty with the
behavior, of b18 AND make b19 actually
usable in a mixed, dos/bash environment.  As it stands b18 is much
more useable because it gets this right..
I would fix this myself as submit a fix, but we are unable to get
cygwin19 to build.

I want to convert to b19, for other reasons... it general I think it
is much better.   But this problem is a show stopper for me

Thanks,

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".