Subject: Re: WINDRES alternative for egcs Mingw32 on Win95
From: [email-masked] (Mumit Khan)

18 Jul 1998 15:06:09 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Douglas Steele <[email-masked]>

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Douglas Steele wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> Can anyone suggest an alternative for windres on ecgs Mingw32.
> On some Win95 setups it fails because when it does a popen it dumps the
> res file to the screen instead of passing it to gcc.  Problem, according
> to Mumit, is due not to windres, but to various Win95 DLL's which are
> used by Mingw32.

Here's the problem Douglas is referring to:

  Windres calls the CPP (C pre-processor) using popen and simply reads the
  standard output of cpp for the pre-processed resource description. Now,
  we run into problems on the following systems:
  
  1. CRTDLL (certain versions)on Win95: popen messes up the standard
     output/error of the process it's running and the output goes to the
     screen instead.
  
  2. MSVCRT or MSVCR40 on WinNT (possibly on W95, but not tested yet): You
     get some bizarre error from popen that says 'disk is full' or some 
     such rubbish. This *does* work with MSVCRT20.DLL however. Now, the
     same test code works with MSVC++ 4.0, so there is some "magic" that 
     mingw32 startup is missing that MSVC++ 4.0 is doing to achieve this.
  
The popen problem has been discussed in this mailing list (search the
archives) with no apparent resolution. I was planning to write a simple
and minimal replacement for popen that would get around this, but no time
yet. Do I hear someone just volunteer?

Douglas, why not just use the cygwin32 version? All you need is windres
and cygwinb19.dll, right? (of course I haven't personally tested this,
so don't know for sure).

Regards,
Mumit

ps: Douglas, apologies for not responding to your earlier email, but life
is rather hectic these days.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".