Subject: Re: To whom do we contribute API header/
From: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Noer)

16 Jul 1998 13:06:45 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: root <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

> You never answered anything about my work with the headers, ignoring all the
> work I do as a matter of course.

Actually, I did look into it a bit.  I forwarded your mail to a couple
of gcc engineers who thought that your changes were probably good
ones to make.

> I have been working two years now in this headers. They can be
> downloaded with the lcc system from:
> 
> http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32.

Done.  I will look into it again.  I guess someone else could always
rewrite them in a similar manner.

> Attention: the copyright is now mine. If Cygnus wants to include
> this header files with their CDK they should pay me money for it,
> since they sell their stuff too.

Aha!  And that's why those changes never made it anywhere...  But it's
certainly your choice to make.

Personally, I do not have a problem with Cygnus charging money for
some things if that means that Cygnus can hire more engineers to do
work that ends up benefitting the free software community.  (Two
thirds of our employees are software engineers, many of whom spend a
substantial percentage of their working hours improving free
software).  But don't take my word for it.  Take a look at a ChangeLog
file from any of the GNU development tools and look for "@cygnus.com".

Altruistic motives aside, profit is also a goal but it's definitely
not the only one.

That's my outlook.  You're certainly welcome to see things
differently (and do as far as I can tell)...

Regards,

Geoffrey Noer
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".