Subject: Re: To whom do we contribute API header/
From: [email-masked] (root)

15 Jul 1998 15:51:36 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text
To: [email-masked]

Mr Noer: 			RE: Header files:

I am the author of lcc-win32, and I have been working with the header files for
windows since two years now.

At the beginning, I mailed to you and to Scott Christley my modificatkions, and
sent regular update messages to this list.

But then, hearing the silence that always followed up my posts, I stopped that
activity. Scott was (and is probably still) very busy with his Gnustep project, and he didn't have the time to pursue this.

You never answered anything about my work with the headers, ignoring all the
work I do as a matter of course.

Nobody in this list answered anything either, so I just continued working and
didn't give a damm about crying to people that do not want to hear what I say.

This more than two years work with the headers have produced a very complete
set of headers for windows. I have written all of them, since the format Scott 
used has proved inadequate for my needs.

What are my needs?

I need compiler speed. THEN I must minimize I/O, i.e. reduce the size of the
headers to a bare minimum. I have rewritten all Scott's headers, The speedup
in compilation is ENORMOUS. This means in fact, that if I compile the following
file:

#include <windows.h>

If I do then:

lcc  test.c

lcc compiles this file in 1.09 seconds.

If I call Microsoft compiler and compile this file
cl -c test.c

It will take 1.6 seconds, i.e. almost 50% more. Is it a slower compiler then?
Is lcc really so fast?

If I do
cl -c -I\lcc\include test.c

I.e. if I direct Microsoft's compiler to use lcc's header files, the speed
of cl is incresed by more than 400% falling down to 0.4 seconds!!!!!!!

I have produced a set of header files that increases compilation speed by an 
enormous factor. This will surely be the case with gcc, since gcc is much
slower than lcc or cl.

I have been working two years now in this headers. They can be downloaded with
the lcc system from:

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32.

Attention: the copyright is now mine. If cygnus wants to include this header
files with their CDK they should pay me money for it, since they sell their
stuff too.

For individual users however, there are absolutely NO charges to pay. Neither 
do I gain any rights to the software compiled using lcc or the headers. For
individual users there are NO strings attached. This is the spirit of free 
software.

The license is not GPL, neither LGPL, but JPL: Jacob's public license. :-)

-- 
Jacob Navia	Logiciels/Informatique
41 rue Maurice Ravel			Tel 01 48.23.51.44
93430 Villetaneuse 			Fax 01 48.23.95.39
France
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".