Subject: GetFreeDiskSpaceEx and df(1)
From: [email-masked] (Andrew Sharp)

15 Jul 1998 09:02:29 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="------------0BB0356E9474E85EEABD4674"
To: [email-masked]

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------0BB0356E9474E85EEABD4674
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I tried to send this to the original poster of this message, but it
bounced so I guess I'll send it to the general list.

I found this on the searchable cygnus archives...

I too have written a df
substitute, as I have mucho code (perl and C) that I am porting to NT
which calls df.  However, the brain dead Win95 version GetFreeDiskSpace
function wouldn't cut it for me, so I am using the Ex function, which
means I can't get it to compile under the cygwin tools (b19.1/NT), and
was forced to
compile it with dev studio.  It takes any argument that unix df does and
returns the space for that partition or defaults to the C:\ partition. 
It's output will parse correctly by any reasonable perl or C routine
that already parses the unix df(1) command output. Any further news on
adding the Ex version to the cygnus stuff?  Any pointers on where I
could find a writeup on how I could do that myself (I'm a complete
cygnus newbie)?  I saw a couple of things in a faq that might or might
not be relevant, but at least one assumed knowledge of things I don't
know about, like "make a dummy LibMain" whatever that means.  If there
is a specific sequence of steps to add Win32 functions to cygnus' .a
files, I would be happy to spend a couple of hours getting it done.  I
don't know why this one was skipped, but I guess there's a lot of
them...and only so many hours in a day....

Thanks in advance,

a

> Ok, I've finally put together something I've wished for, for quite a 
> while now. All I've seen in a df command, was one from virtunix, and 
> didn't have any real flexibility, nor the usual gnu-df look I've been 
> used to for years. So, I made one.
> 
> This isn't a port of GNU's df. I just too the man page, and 
> implemented the same functions and look of it.
> 
> The only things it doesn't do (yet) are 1) df /tmp - check the space 
> on one particular partition, and 2) it's limited to partitions less 
> than 2 gigs. I'll have to see about converting Win95 OSR2's 
> kernel.dll into libkernel32.a to get the updated GetFreeDiskSpaceEx()
> function
>
--------------0BB0356E9474E85EEABD4674
Content-Type: message/delivery-status; name="nsmail35ABE55C031010F"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="nsmail35ABE55C031010F"

Reporting-MTA: dns; clutch.accrue.com
Received-From-MTA: DNS; seatbelt.accrue.com
Arrival-Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 16:13:40 -0700 (PDT)

Final-Recipient: RFC822; [email-masked]
Action: failed
Status: 5.1.1
Remote-MTA: DNS; coneflower.prairienet.org
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 <[email-masked]>... User unknown
Last-Attempt-Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 16:13:42 -0700 (PDT)

--------------0BB0356E9474E85EEABD4674
Content-Type: message/rfc822; name="nsmail35ABE55C032010F"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="nsmail35ABE55C032010F"

Sender: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 23:09:30 +0000
From: Andrew Sharp <[email-masked]>
Organization: Accrue Software
To: [email-masked]
Subject: cygwin32 and GetFreeDiskSpace[Ex] news?

I found this on the searchable cygnus archives...I too have written a df
substitute, as I have mucho code (perl and C) that I am porting to NT
which calls df.  However, the brain dead Win95 version GetFreeDiskSpace
function wouldn't cut it for me, so I am using the Ex function, which
means I can't get it to compile under cygwin tools, and was forced to
compile it with dev studio.  It takes any argument that unix df does and
returns the space for that partition or defaults to the C:\ partition. 
It's output will parse correctly by any reasonable perl or C routine
that already parses the unix df(1) command output. Any further news on
adding the Ex version to the cygnus stuff?  Any pointers on where I
could find a writeup on how I could do that myself (I'm a complete
cygnus newbie)?  I saw a couple of things in a faq that might or might
not be relevant, but at least one assumed knowledge of things I don't
know about, like "make a dummy LibMain" whatever that means.  If there
is a specific sequence of steps to add Win32 functions to cygnus' .a
files, I would be happy to spend a couple of hours getting it done.  I
don't know why this one was skipped, but I guess there's a lot of
them...and only so many hours in a day....

Thanks in advance,

a

> Ok, I've finally put together something I've wished for, for quite a 
> while now. All I've seen in a df command, was one from virtunix, and 
> didn't have any real flexibility, nor the usual gnu-df look I've been 
> used to for years. So, I made one.
> 
> This isn't a port of GNU's df. I just too the man page, and 
> implemented the same functions and look of it.
> 
> The only things it doesn't do (yet) are 1) df /tmp - check the space 
> on one particular partition, and 2) it's limited to partitions less 
> than 2 gigs. I'll have to see about converting Win95 OSR2's 
> kernel.dll into libkernel32.a to get the updated GetFreeDiskSpaceEx()
> function
>

--------------0BB0356E9474E85EEABD4674--

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".