Subject: Re: bash -s from .bat file
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

14 Jul 1998 22:26:03 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]

[email-masked] wrote:
>
> I have a batch file which I wrote for b18. It basically
> reads:
> 
> sh -s %1 < \a\b\c\foo.sh
> 
> This worked as expected, but fails under b19.1. I notice
> 
> a. I must use bash instead of sh.

This is known, it has been suggested to:
  #> mv sh.exe ash.exe
  #> cp bash.exe sh.exe

> b. Even after using bash, the contents of the script
>    are not read and executed correctly. Weird things
>    happen (eg : causes much confusion).
> 

Well, since we don't have the contents of the script nor the `Weird
things' that happen it's tuff for any of us to know what is going on.

> Using:
> 
> sh //e/a/b/c/foo.sh %1
> 
> appears to work... but unfortunately is not drive
> independent :-(

Have you tried `sh /a/b/c/foo.sh %1'?

> 
> Can anyone explain what's going on?
> 

A confusion between the UNIX filesystem and the WIN32 filesystem and
the emulation of the UNIX filesystem on the WIN32 filesystem.  

With UNIX the user sees one big continuous filesystem and they aren't
concerned with devices/drives.  The UNIX administrator has to be
concerned only with what directories are to be mounted on what
devices/drives.

With WIN32 the user has to be concerned with a filesystem that has
many devices/drives and the user has to determine what directories are
loaded on what devices/drives.  The WIN32 administrator only has to be
concerned that there are devices/drives, he isn't concerned with what
is on the device.  So much for a _USER_FRIENDLY_ system.

With CYGWIN32, the project has tried the best it could to
emulate/merge the UNIX filesystem on/with the WIN32 filesystem. 
Unless you have a clear understanding of both filesystems and their
differences then this can lead to confusion.

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

To fix the most serious problems:
  Please, _READ_ the IMPORTANT UPGRADE NOTICE at the end of this note.
  Please, ensure that there is only _ONE_ cygwinb19.dll.
  Please, ensure that _ALL_ b18 binaries have been removed.

Please, research your question via the Searchable Mail Archives first.
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32          (Searchable Mail Archives)

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/                  (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (Project Page)
http://dvpraktikum.informatik.uni-koeln.de:3232/ 
                                            (Cygwin32 Porting Project)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html (Colin Peters - Mingw32)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/    (Mumit Khan)
ftp://ftp.hksys.com/pub/mirrors/EGCS-Win32/   (Jeremy Bettis - mirror)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
http://www.downloadwizard.com/ak/gnu-win32/bash.html
                                        (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://www.parallax.co.uk/~andyp/index_text.html  (Andy Piper - ports)
http://www.tiac.net/users/cgf     (Christopher Faylor - package ports)
http://aquarius.franken.de/docs/develop/gnuwin32/GNUWin32.txt
                                               (Package Porting Notes)
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin32/ 
                                                       (German mirror)
http://www.dol.ru/users/valtul      (Valery Tulnikov - software ports)
ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/local/fox/cygwin32 (David fox - RPM packages)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/     (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.kedemel.demon.co.uk/                       (Darren's ports)
http://www.multione.capgemini.fr/tools/pack_ipc/
                               ("Ludovic Lange" <[email-masked]>)

Help for Win32 Beginners: 
 http://www.relisoft.com
 http://www.program.com/resources/win32.html

DISCLAIMER: These links or links from these pages to other sites do
not constitute an endorsement of any entities, advertisers, products 
or services therein. I am not responsible for and do not control or 
monitor the content of these sites or the accuracy of information 
found therein.

-------------------- IMPORTANT UPGRADE NOTICE ------------------------
You should get the following to update your cygwinb19 package:

Sergey Okhapkin's coolview package which contains an updated 
cygwinb19.dll.  (Yes, even if you've already downloaded the b19.1 
update from the Cygnus Site).

Mumit Khan's compilation of EGCS for the cygwinb19.dll; especially if 
you're using the C++ compiler.  The current version of the compiler
that 
comes with the tools has lots of problems that have been fixed with 
the EGCS version.  This is a drop-in replacement for the GCC toolset.

URL's are listed above.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".