Subject: B19 NT4.0 : file system bug
From: [email-masked] (Marcel Nijman)

14 Jul 1998 16:46:10 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Hi,

I'm having trouble with the way Cygnus handles my FAT file system. In
some cases (reproducable, given my file system) files get transformed to
character devices. For instance, the following two files are ordinary
(small) text files:

crw-r--r--   0 0        everyone   0,   0 Jan  1  1970 jo0
-rw-rw-rw-   1 0        everyone     1865 Jul 14 09:52 jo1

They were created by:

ls -l > jo0
tar -cvzf bug.tar bug
ls -l > jo1

After the first two commands the file jo0 is still okay. After the third
command (which doesn't involve jo0) jo0 has a 'c' flag. The file cannot
be opened anymore with, for instance, vi, but 'cat jo0' works fine.

Note that without the tar command the bug doesn't appear.

Any help is welcome.

Marcel Nijman
[email-masked]

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".