Subject: RE: Working XFS (X Font Server)
From: [email-masked] (Craig Setera)

13 Jul 1998 19:27:42 -0700
Message-ID: <5010400024885760000002L002*.cygnus.gnu-win32@MHS>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain
To: <[email-masked]>

To answer my own question about having a working font server and to return to
the list some hopefully helpful information for all of the help I've been
given...  In my quest to get the GIMP running, I *had to have* scaleable
fonts.  This implied that I *had to have* a working font server.   I sort of
figured out what was wrong with XFS and I'm hoping that someone with a little
more knowledge will be able to do better with this insight in cleaning things
up, instead of the hatchet job I've done to this point. (Sergey?)

I now have an XFS binary that works, at least for a while.  There is a function
called "WaitForSomething" in the file "waitfor.c".  This function uses a set of
fd_set macros for manipulation of the fd_set's from select calls.  These macros
all assume 256 bits... From what I can tell CYGWIN32 uses 64.  They also make
other assumptions about the length of the integers that are used to make up the
bit mask.  Anyway, by creating local copies of XFD_... macros that only deal
with two array arguments instead of the assumed eight, I got quite a bit
farther.  It still appears that the wrong definitions are getting into the loop
variables.  I also replaced the loop limit from calling the howmany() macro
with the value 2.  This all seems to get me a working binary for a while.
Eventually it did crash (like an hour later).  I don't know if it is a memory
leak or something related to these fd_set macros.

So, with that, I'm wondering if someone who has a better set up than I do might
be able to produce a not-so-hacked but still functional XFS?  Preferably one
that doesn't crash later.  The ideal in my mind would be to use "invoker" to
run xfs as an NT service.  This is what I did, but then my service died
horribly later!  I would be happy to provide better/more information about what
I did to anyone who would be able to work on this.  Unfortunately, I didn't
think to bring in the hacked up version of waitfor.c today.

Thanks,
Craig

PS - If anyone wants this partially working binary, I can find a way to put it
somewhere.

Craig Setera
AS/400 Enterprise Java Development
IBM Rochester
[email-masked]
(507) 253-3387 - Tie: 553-3387
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".