Subject: Re: Unix long filenames on CD under Win?
From: [email-masked] (Michael H. Warfield)

11 Jul 1998 12:46:04 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked] (Marcus Brown)
Cc: [email-masked]

Marcus Brown enscribed thusly:
> Yes, I tried to burn a linux distribution (for fear of a religious war,
> don't ask which) but I notice that all linux distributions have the
> YY_TRANS.TBL (which translates 8.3 to normal) in each directory.  Is
> this an indication of rock ridge?  Does anyone know the program that is
> usually used to burn CDs of this nature (win95 tools can't do it :( ?
> After attempting to burn the distribution (using Joliet), the CDs would
> not mount properly (with LFNs) under any *nix (incl. SCO and Linux).

	No...  TRANS.TBL is an older "translation table" scheme.  I have yet
to find anything that uses it to transparently translate 8.3 names to long
file names.  RockRidge uses the Supplimental Records on the CD in a
standardized method to provide long file names for objects on the CD.
Windows 95 / NT do no support RockRidge.  They do support Joliet, which
uses a supplimental catalog for Windows related long file names and
access control attributes.  RockRidge and Joliet (and TRANS.TBL) can
all co-exist on the same CD since the use different, non-conflicting
methods to store their information.  Their are SOME versions of Unix
(specifically recent versions of Linux) which support and read Joliet
extensions, if present.  There are some version of HP/UX which STILL
DON'T support RockRidge.  When I cut CD's, I make sure that they have
all three (RockRidge, Joliet, and TRANS.TBL) on the CD's.  That way
Windows95/WindowsNT can see and read long file names, most Unix systems
can see long file names whether they support Joliet or not, and a translation
table is present even if nothing else is supported...

	Point to note...  I use the latest version mkisofs under Linux
for doing this.  I cut product/production CD's for mastering and pressing
as well as preparation of "once-off's" and short runs.

> Marcus

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Petr Stehlik [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, July 10, 1998 2:37 AM
> To: 'Gnu-Win32'
> Subject: Unix long filenames on CD under Win?
> 
> 
> Hi,
> 
> don't you happen to know how to read LFN stored on a CD using RockRidge
> extension of ISO9660 under Windows95/98/NT, please? Some kind of
> filesystem
> driver or so?

	I'm not aware of any RockRidge support under any Windows related
file system drivers.  I could be wrong.  I hope I'm wrong.  But this was
one of those deliberate, "let's break everyone else so it looks like
THEIR compatibility sucks", moves on Microsoft's part.

> Petr

> P.S. I know it's now possible to store RR and Joliet at one CD, but I
> would
> like to read older RR-only CDs as well.

> -
> For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message
> to
> "[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".
> -
> For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
> "[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".

	Mike
-- 
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  [email-masked]
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 925-8248   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/
  NIC whois:  MHW9      |  An optimist believes we live in the best of all
 PGP Key: 0xDF1DD471    |  possible worlds.  A pessimist is sure of it!
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".