Subject: Re: mv loosing files (on NT3.5)
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

11 Jul 1998 08:39:38 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: Urs Schulthess <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

---Urs Schulthess <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I tried to rename a file from upper to lower case with 
> 
> mv TEST.TXT test.txt
> 
> doing this on my local filesystem (NT4.0 Servicepack 3, NTFS) it works
> perfectly. It is not even necessary since bash generally seems to be
> able to guess that I mean "TEST.TXT" by typing "test.txt". As long as
> no other variations of Test exist.

Do you have case sensitive file names option turned on for NT4sp3?

> 
> doing the same on one of our fileservers (NT3.5, NTFS)  I get the
> following message:
> 
> mv: cannot move `TEST.TXT' to `test.txt': No such file or directory
> 
> and my file is no more. *sniff*
> 
> Seems to be a bug? Did anybody else observe this?

It's not a bug, it's a feature supplied by Win32.  Normally in Win32
files are stored as case insensitive, although the case is preserved
for the purposes of displaying the name.  With NTFS, there is an
option to allow case sensitive file names and the cygwinb19.dll found
on Sergey's page will allow this to take place with a specified option
to the CYGWIN32 environment variable.  I've forgotten the option but
you could find it via the archives or perhaps on Sergey's page (URL is
listed below).

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

To fix the most serious cygwinb19 problems:
  Please, _READ_ the IMPORTANT UPGRADE NOTICE at the end of this note.
  Please, ensure that there is only _ONE_ cygwinb19.dll.
  Please, ensure that _ALL_ b18 binaries have been removed.

Please, research your question via the Searchable Mail Archives first.
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32          (Searchable Mail Archives)

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/                  (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (Project Page)
http://dvpraktikum.informatik.uni-koeln.de:3232/ 
                                            (Cygwin32 Porting Project)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html (Colin Peters - Mingw32)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/    (Mumit Khan)
ftp://ftp.hksys.com/pub/mirrors/EGCS-Win32/   (Jeremy Bettis - mirror)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
http://www.downloadwizard.com/ak/gnu-win32/bash.html
                                        (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://www.parallax.co.uk/~andyp/index_text.html  (Andy Piper - ports)
http://www.tiac.net/users/cgf     (Christopher Faylor - package ports)
http://aquarius.franken.de/docs/develop/gnuwin32/GNUWin32.txt
                                               (Package Porting Notes)
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin32/ 
                                                       (German mirror)
http://www.dol.ru/users/valtul      (Valery Tulnikov - software ports)
ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/local/fox/cygwin32 (David fox - RPM packages)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/     (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.kedemel.demon.co.uk/                       (Darren's ports)

Help for Win32 Beginners: 
 http://www.relisoft.com
 http://www.program.com/resources/win32.html

DISCLAIMER: These links or links from these pages to other sites do
not constitute an endorsement of any entities, advertisers, products 
or services therein. I am not responsible for and do not control or 
monitor the content of these sites or the accuracy of information 
found therein.

-------------------- IMPORTANT UPGRADE NOTICE ------------------------
You should get the following to update your cygwinb19 package:

Sergey Okhapkin's coolview package which contains an updated 
cygwinb19.dll.  (Yes, even if you've already downloaded the b19.1 
update from the Cygnus Site).

Mumit Khan's compilation of EGCS for the cygwinb19.dll; especially if 
you're using the C++ compiler.  The current version of the compiler
that 
comes with the tools has lots of problems that have been fixed with 
the EGCS version.  This is a drop-in replacement for the GCC toolset.

URL's are listed above.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".