Subject: Re: Help with waitpid hanging
From: [email-masked] (Christopher G. Faylor)

11 Jul 1998 03:20:34 GMT
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <5010400024779623000002L032*.cygnus.gnu-win32@MHS>
X-Newsreader: trn 4.0-test63 (15 March 1998)

In article <5010400024779623000002L032*.cygnus.gnu-win32@MHS>,
Craig Setera <[email-masked]> wrote:
>I'm hoping somebody who has a better understanding of cygwin32 might be
>able to help me to understand what is happening with the following
>trace from the support DLL.  In this trace, pid has been asked to end
>via the datastream by pid 1086 (its parent) and has done so (NT task
>manager proves that).  Why then, does the following call to waitpid()
>end up hanging infinitely then?  It appears (to my untrained mind) that
>it should basically return immediately.  In fact, somewhere in this
>trace I see that it "reaped" the zombie process 1089.  It seems that it
>should return successfully at that point, but instead it is hung
>indefinitely.  I have the CDK sources, but to be honest, I just can't
>get my head around this stuff.
>
>The structure of processes prior to the waitpid call is that pid 1086
>is the parent of both 1087 and 1089.  I have asked 1089 to exit, but
>1087 is supposed to remain active.  Also, it has been proven that if
>the executable (once started is always running) behind pid 1087 is
>never started, that this hang will never occur.
>
>Help!  I would appreciate any help that anyone can give me on this.
>
>Thanks,
>Craig
>
>Calling waitpid on pid = 1089
>(d:\unix\usr\local\bin\gimp.exe 1086) <0> fhandler_base::write: after write,
>name gimp.out, rpos 928
>[etc]

From the strace it looks like you may be running an older version of
cygwinb19.dll.  If you upgrade to a version from Sergey's web site,
that may solve your problem:  http://www.lexa.ru/sos .  If that doesn't
solve your problem, please send me another strace listing and I'll
try to figure out what's going wrong.
-- 
[email-masked]             "Everything has a boolean value, if you stand
http://www.cygnus.com/      far enough away from it."  -- Galena Alyson Canada