Subject: Re: Decompile...
From: [email-masked] (Stipe Tolj)

10 Jul 1998 02:29:54 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "Marcel R." <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

Marcel R. wrote:
> 
> Hi 4 all...
> I want to know if there is some way to "Decompile" a file... I mean, get a
> exe file and make it be a cpp file, and view the code to do some things
> that the program do...
> Thanks...

no way. A binary (exe) file consists of assembler instructions for the
cpu. Their is no way to "decompile" the compiled and linked file to an
source code file, since the function f: source -> binary is not
injective so say it in mathematical terms.

The only way to find out "what" a binary file does is to disassembler
it, and perform aseemlber instructions step by step, controlling the cpu
registers and assembler registers that change within execution of the
analyzed program.

PS: If it would be possible to "decompile" exes to source code files, I
would be the first to "decompile" windows 98 and modify a bit to sell it
under an other name.

Regards, Stipe.

-- 
stud.rer.pol. Stipe Tolj <[email-masked]>
HTTP Server Development Management
Department of Economical Computer Science        
University of Cologne, Germany                  
http://www-public.rz.uni-duesseldorf.de/~tolj

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".