Subject: B19.1: tar -u option under NT 4.0 SP3 does not update properly
From: [email-masked] (Jacques Lavictoire)

9 Jul 1998 01:46:21 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Hi,

    I'm new to gnu-win32 so it might just be me but repeating a tar job
with -u should update only if the files are newer then the previous
tarred files correct . But it keeps adding the files but they are all
the same set of files exactly. An example is as follows

bash-2.01$ tar -v -u /temp/ati/* -f /temp/test1.tar
tar: Removing leading `/' from absolute path names in the archive
temp/ati/DE5110C1.EXE
temp/ati/MAKEDISK.BAT
temp/ati/MAKEDISK.PIF
bash-2.01$ tar -v -u /temp/ati/* -f /temp/test1.tar
tar: Removing leading `/' from absolute path names in the archive
temp/ati/DE5110C1.EXE
temp/ati/MAKEDISK.BAT
temp/ati/MAKEDISK.PIF
bash-2.01$ tar -v -u /temp/ati/* -f /temp/test1.tar
tar: Removing leading `/' from absolute path names in the archive
temp/ati/DE5110C1.EXE
temp/ati/MAKEDISK.BAT
temp/ati/MAKEDISK.PIF

After this you would expect, if I'm reading the help on tar properly,
that I should only have one copy of the files since they haven't changed
at all. Is this a problem ?

Thank You

Jack

--

       Jacques Lavictoire Systems Support
       Canada Centre for Remote Sensing, Natural Resources Canada
       588 Booth Street, Room G3, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1A 0Y7
       Email: [email-masked]
       Phone: (613) 947-1366 Fax: (613) 947-1408

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".