Subject: Re: NT registry usage etc.
From: [email-masked] (Steve Nordquist)

6 Jul 1998 00:00:24 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Larry Hall wrote:

> This is way off-topic for this list but

alt.fan.strousup kicked you out? :)  Try naspa.com if you MS or MSDNleave you
blinded and there isn't an NT Admin section in our favorite
API.

> I'm trying to figure out how to open, read, and write restricted permission

> files (like the registry) on NT.

That's a -special- file; AFAIK if your task was operator or better access level,
you should have been able to get a file handle which would have given the
perception of ability to read and write to the registry.  NT logs writes to the
registry however, and in fact guarantees that only tasks calling NT to say they
want it can really even back up the registry.  YMMV also on version & SQL
server present, file handle collision, etc.
     Way 1 is to whack off what MFC (and indeed microsoft.com) have to say
about backup utilities and security for it; way 2 involves a little more than 2-3

simple rigid internal calls (Parameters Needed) and is in the NT Administration
part of MFC.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".