Subject: NT registry backup
From: [email-masked] (Larry Hall)

3 Jul 1998 22:31:03 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: [email-masked]

This is way off-topic for this list but I thought some kind soul might be
able to help me out or at least direct me to a mail list that could 
(preferably one that doesn't require joining first!;-))  I'm trying to
figure out how to open, read, and write restricted permission files (like
the registry) on NT.  I don't care about 9x (never have!;-))  I've searched
through MS docs and on the net.  I've found a few examples but nothing that
really clarifies what needs to be done to access files like this.  If 
someone could point me to a good source, I'd appreciate it.  I know about
BackupRead/BackupWrite and the need to add backup privileges to my 
process but I'm still having trouble getting CreateFile to return a handle
for an access mode of "GENERIC_READ" or "GENERIC_WRITE" (I can get a handle
if I use 0 here but then I can't read or write.) Also, to benefit all the 
people on this list that don't want their mail boxes cluttered with mail on 
this subject, please email me directly (flames too).  If there's sufficient 
interest from people, I am willing to publish the results of my query at some 
later date.

TIA,

Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      (781) 239-1053
8 Grove Street                          (781) 239-1655 - FAX
Wellesley, MA  02181                    http://www.rfk.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".