Subject: problems with capitalized names (WNT)
From: [email-masked] (Ivan Herman)

2 Jul 1998 17:13:09 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

I know there is a related issue in the mailing list, but it is not exactly
the same...

I experienced the problem with Javac (Sun's Java compiler): Java has the
feature that a file has to have exactly the same name as the class name it
describes. 'Exactly' means case sensitive file name: ie, if I have the
class 'Test', it should be in the file 'Test.java', and not 'TEST.java',
etc.

If I run the DOS prompt in WNT, and I run 'javac Test.java' from the
command line, everything is o.k. If I run the same from bash, the java
compiler complains that it does not find the right class. My impression is
that when bash makes an 'exec' for javac, and it forwards the file names as
arguments, it does something with the file names in capitalizing them (or
putting them all lower case). If this is the case, then this leads to the
problems with Java. Is it possible to change this, or is it possible to set
this as an option for Bash?

Ivan

P.S. Bash is a wonderful tool on WNT, I love it!

--
Ivan Herman
Centre for Mathematics and Computer Sciences (CWI)
Kruislaan 413, 1098 SJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
tel: +31-20-592.4163    fax: +31-20-5924199
http://www.cwi.nl/~ivan

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".