Subject: RE: GIMP anyone?
From: [email-masked] (Parker, Ron)

2 Jul 1998 07:16:38 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
	boundary="---- =_NextPart_000_01BDA522.D3D87E76"
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: Cygwin List <[email-masked]>

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------ =_NextPart_000_01BDA522.D3D87E76
Content-Type: text/plain

I have compiled GIMP myself. I did it without shared memory using static
libraries. After I stripped everything it totaled about 25M.  There is
actually only one "plug-in" that is broken.  It is the script-fu
extension.  If you remove it from the "share" directory all of the other
plug-ins magically work.

I realize that script-fu is a big part of GIMP. But, it is a temporary
solution until I have time to locate the problem.

-----Original Message-----
From: Alexander Stockdale [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 1998 12:04 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: Cygwin List
Subject: RE: GIMP anyone?

> Two remarks:
> Firstly, there is a function in Gimp --no-shm that you could use when
> starting a program - it's work for me on FreeBSD (everyone could see
that
> the Gimp's loading is significantly slow down), but it's no work on
Cygwin
> with or without IPC package - it's hanging up in script-fu module. Did
you
> try to comment all shm things out? It'll be the greate contribution to
> Cygwin  ported application list.
> The second: it could be more efficient to produce a shared dll for GTK
and
> Gimp - it takes over 50 mb on my hard drive - too much for buggy port!

Although I saw the --no-shm option, I never bothered trying to use it...
I knew 
that the compilation would fail for lack of ipc and shm.  Instead, I
went 
through the code (it really only affects 2 or 3 modules), and
strategically 
commented out sections of the code related to shm management.  You can
get away 
with this because all of the shm handling in GIMP is controlled by a
variable 
(use_shm, or something similar) that is initialized to -1.  The value of
this 
variable will only be changed if shm functions are successfully called,
and the 
code checks this variable before trying to do anything with shm.  The
result is 
that by commenting out the code, thereby ensuring that the value of the 
variable stays -1, you effectively eliminate shm from the app.

As to your second remark, Craig Setera (see elsewhere on this list)
tells me 
that he has managed to create dll's for one or more of the GIMP
libraries.  I 
think he is still working on perfecting this... contact him for more
info.  I 
agree that 50 MB (or more) is too much for a buggy port.  On the other
hand, if 
I could just figure out how to fix the plug-in problems, it wouldn't be
so 
buggy!

Alexander Stockdale

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message
to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".

------ =_NextPart_000_01BDA522.D3D87E76
Content-Type: application/ms-tnef
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

------ =_NextPart_000_01BDA522.D3D87E76--
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".