Subject: Re: Linking MS.lib with Cygnus-Win32
From: [email-masked] (Mumit Khan)

2 Jul 1998 06:25:33 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
To: Edoardo Portaluppi <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

Edoardo Portaluppi <[email-masked]> writes:
> I have seen the letter that Mikey wrote in 18 Dec 1997 to Cygnus-mailing
> list: he said that a new version of ld.exe allows to link MS.lib files
> and libcygnus.a type files as well.I tried to download the code from
> the ftp address he gave (ftp.deninc.com/incoming), but it wasn't
> possible (they don't like anonymous visitors!?).
> So I want to know if someone has already taken and used this new version
> of ld.exe and where I can find it (if someone could send it to me, I
> really really thank him in advance).

Yes, I've used it, and it's the standard linker for i386-beos and i386-uwin 
(yet another posix emulation layer) where the ability to link to MSVC 
created libs is a must.

I however don't have the ftp space to put it up, nor the time to build it
for i386-cygwin32, but I'll be glad to supply you with the patches against 
binutils-2.9.1 and you can build it yourself. The only gotcha I've found is 
that *all* C++ libraries need to be recompiled due to a change in the BFD.
This is also totally unsupported, which means that I'll silently ignore
questions on how to use it and so on.

The patches are archived at:

 ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/cygwin32/
				      snapshots/msvc-compat-binutils

 (join the two lines above)

Alternatively, you can try Mikey's binary distribution at:

 ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/cygwin32/msvc-compat/

Disclaimer: I trust that it is complete, but I have never used it. Do not
send me bug reports. 

Regards,
Mumit
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".