Subject: RE: GIMP anyone?
From: [email-masked] (Alexander Stockdale)

1 Jul 1998 04:26:15 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
To: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Cygwin List" <[email-masked]>

> Two remarks:
> Firstly, there is a function in Gimp --no-shm that you could use when
> starting a program - it's work for me on FreeBSD (everyone could see that
> the Gimp's loading is significantly slow down), but it's no work on Cygwin
> with or without IPC package - it's hanging up in script-fu module. Did you
> try to comment all shm things out? It'll be the greate contribution to
> Cygwin  ported application list.
> The second: it could be more efficient to produce a shared dll for GTK and
> Gimp - it takes over 50 mb on my hard drive - too much for buggy port!

Although I saw the --no-shm option, I never bothered trying to use it... I knew 
that the compilation would fail for lack of ipc and shm.  Instead, I went 
through the code (it really only affects 2 or 3 modules), and strategically 
commented out sections of the code related to shm management.  You can get away 
with this because all of the shm handling in GIMP is controlled by a variable 
(use_shm, or something similar) that is initialized to -1.  The value of this 
variable will only be changed if shm functions are successfully called, and the 
code checks this variable before trying to do anything with shm.  The result is 
that by commenting out the code, thereby ensuring that the value of the 
variable stays -1, you effectively eliminate shm from the app.

As to your second remark, Craig Setera (see elsewhere on this list) tells me 
that he has managed to create dll's for one or more of the GIMP libraries.  I 
think he is still working on perfecting this... contact him for more info.  I 
agree that 50 MB (or more) is too much for a buggy port.  On the other hand, if 
I could just figure out how to fix the plug-in problems, it wouldn't be so 
buggy!

Alexander Stockdale

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".