Subject: Re: GDB on running process
From: [email-masked] (Christopher G. Faylor)

1 Jul 1998 02:50:04 GMT
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
X-Newsreader: trn 4.0-test63 (15 March 1998)

In article <[email-masked]>,
Eric Proust <[email-masked]> wrote:
>I am trying to debug an interface program, that is launched by a particular
>software. I can attach GDB to the process and set a breakpoint, but when
>the breakpoint is about to be reached, I get a message saying "cannot
>access memory at address xxxxxx". It looks like NT doesnt allow to access
>memory between processes, which was to be expected (software at your
>fingertips....). But then, is there a way to go around this, or will I have
>to debug with printf statements ?

The code currently in gdb for attaching to running processes is not really
functional.  I've made some changes to gdb to add the ability to attach
to running processes, as well as some support of threads and signals to
a local copy of gdb.  Hopefully these changes will eventually make their
way back into the gdb sources.

If anyone wants to build gdb from scratch, I'll look into providing patches.
-- 
[email-masked]             "Everything has a boolean value, if you stand
http://www.cygnus.com/      far enough away from it."  -- Galena Alyson Canada