Subject: Re: mingw32, -mwindows and not.. WSAAsyncSelect
From: [email-masked] (Alain CULOS)

30 Jun 1998 06:22:28 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: [email-masked]

Laszlo Vecsey wrote:

> And finally I thought about using V (http//www.objectcentral.com) to
> manage my GUI, but it bloated my tiny app to 110k+ immediatly, and I dont
> see any easy way of extracting the window info (_Frame variable?) to pass
> onto WSAAsyncSelect.. or should I just call CreateWindow and make a
> nonviewable window for WSAAsyncSelect to work with, and ditch V unless I
> really need it for display.

I don't really know what you mean but I thing what you are after is the
function that returns the HDC to you, for doing that sort of thing, you have
to go in the back of V (not really what you should do, but that's the only
way). First, V is designed to be portable across Windows and X-Windows, so it
has to hide the specific internals of each system, that is why you do not have
access to what you want.Now if you really want to, you can just declare a new
class inheriting from one of the V classes and use the private functions that
give you access to the internals.
I have done that type of stuff with the canvas (although I'm not happy about
the way I did it to be honest, especially since the purpose of using V was to
make my app portable, but I stabbed it by going direct), so I will not be able
to answer your query upfront, but the same principle applies.

> Also out of curiousity, one of the things
> mentioned on the V website was that it isnt a 'full-featured' GUI front
> end in the sense that it does everything that windows offers.

As for this I don't know the answer, but you can always join the V mailing
list, it is not a busy list, but you get answers from the author himself,
which is always very nice. Check out the objectcentral web site, and join it,
it helped me a few times, so it is really worth it.

Cheers,
Al.

--
ANTI SPAM / ANTI ARROSAGE COMMERCIAL :
Pour me répondre, veuillez enlever le Z de mon adresse.
To answer me, please take out the Z from my address.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".