Subject: RE: GIMP anyone?
From: [email-masked] (Valery Tulnikov)

30 Jun 1998 04:50:16 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Cygwin List" <[email-masked]>

Two remarks:
Firstly, there is a function in Gimp --no-shm that you could use when
starting a program - it's work for me on FreeBSD (everyone could see that
the Gimp's loading is significantly slow down), but it's no work on Cygwin
with or without IPC package - it's hanging up in script-fu module. Did you
try to comment all shm things out? It'll be the greate contribution to
Cygwin  ported application list.
The second: it could be more efficient to produce a shared dll for GTK and
Gimp - it takes over 50 mb on my hard drive - too much for buggy port!

With best regards,

Valery Tulnikov,
[email-masked]
http://www.dol.ru/users/valtul

-----Original Message-----
From: Alexander Stockdale [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 29 ???? 1998 ?. 22:39
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: GIMP anyone?

> It's compiled out of box. But GIMP use shared memory calls - there no
> support in Cygwin for shared memory. Someone develops external package for
> that (see http://www.multione.capgemini.fr/tools/pack_ipc/) but it's not
> functioned very well and need additional developer efforts to work
properly.
> Anyway, if you need that buggy version of GIMP let me know.
>

The GIMP code is written in such a way that you can pretty much comment out
any calls to shm functions (requires a little intelligence, but not a lot).
The GIMP will just assume that shm is not working on your machine, and work
around the lack of shared memory.

Alexander Stockdale

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".