Subject: RE: dos.h
From: [email-masked] (Cook, John)

26 Jun 1998 11:33:29 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>

hal [SMTP:[email-masked]] writes: 
>I've been trying to compile vim, but some header files are not
>in my source.  Does any one know where I can find dos.h, bios.h?
>Is there a source for compile headers on the net? Do we need to
>make them?

To build a CygWin32-native version of Vim (i.e., one that runs
nicely under bash, recognizes paths per your mount table, etc.),
consider the following instructions (which I have posted to the
list several times).  These use the ncurses library to do the 
console-specific stuff.

(Note: I've tried this only with Vim 5.0 and later.  I can't say 
how well this works for Vim-4.6 and prior.) 

--John

vim-5.0 and ncurses-4.1 under CygWin32 beta19

Here is how I built and installed ncurses-4.1 and vim-5.1 in the 
CygWin32 environment.  Note I installed CygWin32 b19 in
e:\Cygnus and that my CygWin32 mount table looks like this (you
need to mount /usr and /bin directories for the rest of what
follows to work, and use binary mounts for all CygWin32
directories):

  Device           Directory           Type        Flags
  e:\Cygnus\b19    /usr                native      no-mixed,text=binary
  e:               /e                  native      no-mixed,text=binary
  d:               /d                  native      no-mixed,text=binary
  c:               /c                  native      no-mixed,text=binary
  e:\Cygnus\b19\H-i386-cygwin32\bin  /bin  native  no-mixed,text=binary
  b:               /b                  native      no-mixed,text=binary
  a:               /a                  native      no-mixed,text=binary
  e:\Cygnus\rootdir /                  native      no-mixed,text=binary

1.  Ensure that your .bashrc has the following:

 export CYGREL=B19
 export OSTYPE=cygwin32
 export MAKE_MODE=unix
 export CYGROOT=/e/Cygnus/B19
 export CYGFS=/e/Cygnus/B19
 export GCC_EXEC_PREFIX=/e/Cygnus/B19/H-i386-cygwin32/lib/gcc-lib/
 export TCL_LIBRARY=/e/Cygnus/B19/share/tcl8.0/
 export GDBTK_LIBRARY=/e/Cygnus/B19/share/gdbtcl

2.  Install the attached 'ginstall' script per its comments.
    This script helps you run standard Unix install scripts 
    under CygWin32.

3.  Download and install ncurses-4.1 (available from 
    http://www.clark.net/pub/dickey/) as follows:

    Unpack the tarball into a temporary directory. 
    Then, from bash, just do:
      ./configure --prefix=/usr --without-debug
      make
      make install

4.  Build and install vim-5.1 as follows:

    Unpack the tarball into a temporary directory.
    Edit vim-5.1/src/Makefile as follows: 
      Un-comment these lines (I have Win32 Perl and Python but 
      not the CygWin32 versions!):
        CONF_OPT_PERL = --disable-perlinterp
        CONF_OPT_PYTHON = --disable-pythoninterp
      Other settings for my CygWin32 install:
        prefix=/usr
        BINDIR=/usr/bin

    Then, from bash, just do:
      export SUFFIX=.exe
      make
      make install

Provided bash sets TERM=linux, the resulting Vim should work well
in the CygWin32 environment.  Here are the color settings I use
(this is a black background; for TERM=linux the bold attribute
makes colors brighter):

  highlight Comment           term=NONE cterm=NONE ctermfg=7 ctermbg=0
  highlight Constant          term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=6 ctermbg=0
  highlight Identifier        term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=1 ctermbg=0
  highlight Statement         term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=3 ctermbg=0
  highlight PreProc           term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=5 ctermbg=0
  highlight Type              term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=1 ctermbg=0
  highlight Special           term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=5 ctermbg=0
  highlight Error             term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=7 ctermbg=1
  highlight ToDo              term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=7 ctermbg=1

  highlight Cursor                                            gui=reverse
guibg=none guifg=none
  highlight Directory         term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=6 ctermbg=0
  highlight ErrorMsg          term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=7 ctermbg=1
  highlight IncSearch         term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=3 ctermbg=0
  highlight LineNr            term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=3 ctermbg=0
  highlight ModeMsg           term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=7 ctermbg=0
  highlight MoreMsg           term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=5 ctermbg=0
  highlight NonText           term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=1 ctermbg=0
  highlight Question          term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=5 ctermbg=0
  highlight Search            term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=3 ctermbg=1
  highlight SpecialKey        term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=6 ctermbg=0
  highlight StatusLine        term=NONE cterm=NONE ctermbg=7 ctermfg=0
  highlight StatusLineNC      term=NONE cterm=NONE ctermbg=3 ctermfg=0
  highlight Title             term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=6 ctermbg=0
  highlight Visual            term=NONE cterm=NONE ctermfg=0 ctermbg=7
  highlight WarningMsg        term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=3 ctermbg=0

You might also put this in your vimrc file:

  let bash_is_sh=1

(end)

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".