Subject: mingw32, -mwindows and not.. WSAAsyncSelect
From: [email-masked] (Laszlo Vecsey)

26 Jun 1998 08:54:47 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: [email-masked]

I have a couple questions that are somewhat related. With a mingw32 binary
compiled without -mwindows, i.e. just a console app, I get about a 7k
binary, with network support (-lwsock32) that works fine, but I have yet
to use WSAAsyncSelect and I'm wondering if I need -mwindows defined for
that.

Secondly, is there a way to get a regular console app (without -mwindows)
into the background, like a windows application with -mwindows is?

And finally I thought about using V (http//www.objectcentral.com) to
manage my GUI, but it bloated my tiny app to 110k+ immediatly, and I dont
see any easy way of extracting the window info (_Frame variable?) to pass
onto WSAAsyncSelect.. or should I just call CreateWindow and make a
nonviewable window for WSAAsyncSelect to work with, and ditch V unless I
really need it for display. Also out of curiousity, one of the things
mentioned on the V website was that it isnt a 'full-featured' GUI front
end in the sense that it does everything that windows offers.. does this
mean its not possible to disable the minimum/maximize buttons and so on
once a window is created? These are attributes that are normally passed
through to CreateWindow but I noticed all hardcoded on in the V library
source. I realize V is designed to be multiplatform and it does that job
well, but I'm wondering if I can modify the attributes of the window with
explicit calls for the platform in question (#ifdef __MINGW32__) and
_then_ have V bring up the window for display.

Oops, longer then I thought. I think I'll go get some reference books on
all this windows stuff now.

- lv

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".