Subject: RE: Escape sequences
From: [email-masked]

22 Jun 1998 18:59:07 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

> [email-masked]
> Thu, 11 Jun 1998 16:05:40 -0500 (CDT)

>I went on a tour of cygwinb19.dll using the QuickView program in
>the '95 Explorer, and I came up with the following assessment of
>what it would take to cut the Unix emulation loose from the MSoft
>console:
>
>Basically, your DLL uses a subset of the MSoft console functions that
>provide display and raw key (but not mouse) input. This corresponds
>to the slang library slw32tty.c, slgetkey.c and slvideo.c modules, and
>nothing more, and I have already demonstrated that I can make that work,
>mouse and all. For this situation, the only parts of my libwstdio.a
>library that would be used would be
>
>(a) the console window initialization code that would be called from
>crt0.o to a CYGNUS_WinMain function of the DLL. This would set up
>a Windows window, register it, and call the appropriate display
>functions to make it visible. It would also pass the WM_KEYDOWN,
>WM_KEYUP, WM_CHAR, WM_LBUTTON_CLICK, WM_PAINT, etc., window callback
>function to the appropriate Windows registration function.
>
>(b) the getch(), putch(), fputs(...., stdout), and fputs(...., stderr),
>KeyPressed(), GoToXY(), etc., code would be the only libwstdio code
>that would be activated by the cygwin DLL, with the DLL actually handling
>the identities of stdin, stdout, stderr, stdprn, stdaux, etc. and taking
>over the other functionality of my library.
>
>That means that the actual amount of object code that would be added
>to the cygwinb19.dll would be somewhat less than 50 KB, perhaps no more
>than 30 KB.
>
I've done some more work on porting my console window to gnu-win32,
and the total 32-bit library weighs in at about 38 KB, without the
stripping that occurs when only part of the library is used. If I
modified it to emulate the Windows console library calls that
cygwinb19.dll makes, it probably would decrease in size, what with
the elimination of the stdio library that it presently emulates.

If there is enough interest from the developers, I may carry this out,
in which case, I could send libwstdio.a to them, they could link it in
place of the Microsoft console calls.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".